Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Cluster V-Stich Rainbow Blanket

Lord have mercy, how long has it been since I've posted?  6 1/2 months?  Whew!  I'm not sure what's gotten into me, because it's certainly not like I stopped crafting.  I've made a blanket for my brand new nephew, Colton, holiday gifts for various family members, and some holiday decorations... and I also made this random blanket, for no one in particular, just because an idea struck my fancy.


I was sitting in my office, daydreaming about a crochet project (as I frequently do), and I was hit with the idea that rainbow stripes, alternating with a stark black for contrast, could make for a beautiful blanket!  I have always loved rainbow colors.  I'm positively sure it's because of my anxiety/OCD - I love colors in the "correct" order, so rainbow stripes just feel good.  I frequently find myself drawn to LGBT-pride items, which cracks up my family & friends, but to me that's a win-win, right? ;)  So, it's not surprise that my yarn stash already had all of these colors just sitting around, since I use them in so many projects, and I had the black leftover from an ill-fated Disney project (lol).


I wanted a chunkier, more substantial stitch pattern, to hold up to the worsted weight yarn and the bold, primary colors, so I went with a cluster v-stitch.  It works up similar to a traditional v-stitch, working into the spaces of the previous row, but each v is made up of a puffy "cluster."  It's super simple to do:

Yarn over, insert hook through stitch, yarn over and pull through two loops, leaving two loops on the hook.  Yarn over and insert it through the same stitch. Yarn over and pull through two loops, then yarn over again and pull it through 3 loops remaining on hook.  Chain 1, then repeat to make the second half of the cluster: yarn over, insert hook through stitch, yarn over and pull through two loops, leaving two loops on the hook.  Yarn over and insert it through the same stitch. Yarn over and pull through two loops, then yarn over again and pull it through 3 loops remaining on hook.


I always start my blankets with a row of single crochet.  Controversial among crocheters, I know, because most people prefer to start their foundation row in the pattern.  But I prefer the sturdier foundation, as well as the easier stitches to work with when I start my pattern.  This blanket needs an odd number in the starting chain, so I settled on 75, for a baby-sized throw.  I single crocheted across, chained 3, and turned my work, before starting my pattern:
Row 1: DC in first st, *skip 2 chains, Cluster V-stitch in next chain, repeating from * across, DC in the last stitch.  Join in next color, Chain 3, turn.
Row 2: Cluster V-stitch in each of the Cluster V-stitches from previous row, DC in last chain of your chain 3.  Join in black yarn, Chain 3, turn.
Continue the pattern, repeating Row 2 & alternating the colors.

The only tricky part to this was having to weave in all of those ends when I was done – hoowee, I hate that part!  I’m not gonna lie, sometimes I tie knots (gasp!) and just crochet over them when making the border.  But shhh, that’s our little secret… Anyways, this time, I did it right, then I finished up by adding a black, single crocheted border down each edge, so the entire blanket is framed by that bold line.

I really enjoyed this project, because the stitch pattern is lovely but also super simple, and the blanket was done quite quickly.  I think this would also look beautiful using just one variegated yarn (which means no ends to weave in!), and I think I'm gonna try that asap!  But for now, this is folded & stored in my craft closet, waiting for the right person to give it to :)





No comments:

Post a Comment