Thursday, May 25, 2017

Crochet Steering Wheel Cover

I have had my eye on this gorgeous Red Heart Super Saver yarn for quite a long time... 
Red Heart Super Saver "lagoon"

Every trip to AC Moore, it would catch my eye.  And every baby blanket, present for my nieces, or other project I started planning, I would think, "could I use that RHSS lagoon for this?"  (spoiler alert: the answer was always NO, because it's kinda loud coloring...)  Last month, AC Moore was running a huge sale on RHSS, which is my favorite yarn, so my husband took me on a mini shopping spree.  As I sat in the aisle, strategically picking yarn for the specific projects I have in mind, I couldn't resist - I snagged a skein of this, just because, and it's been teasing me from my stockpile ever since.

Last week, I finally decided what I would do with it.  I got into my car after work on a hot, 90* day, and my steering wheel was too hot to touch.  I wished I had a steering wheel cover, then thought how cute it would be to crochet one, then got super excited, because it was an awesome excuse to use my favorite yarn!

I measured my steering wheel to see how wide my strip of fabric would need to be, as well as the circumference of the wheel, which would be the needed length of the finished product (sort of).  For me, using this yarn and a size I hook, I needed ten double crochet stitches across.  
If those nice, straight edges don't make 
you happy, we cannot be friends.  Lol

I simply continued with nice, even rows of double crochet, until it was long enough to surround my steering wheel WHEN STRETCHED.  This is important.  Each time I measured my progress, I pulled the fabric as far as it could go, then stopped when that expanded piece hit my 47.5" goal.  This way, the cover would have to stretch tight to go over the wheel, and wouldn't slip off when in use :)
Just one long, straight piece of fabric - easy, peasy

I joined the two ends of my fabric strip by holding the ends together & slip stitching across, picking up only the inside loops of the stitch on each side.  This creates a nice, flat seam, without the added bulk of both loops and/or a single crochet.
Slip stitches in the inside loops only
make a nice, flat seam:

I decided I'd like a little bit cleaner look for my daily use, so I went around the full circle on both sides, and I used a half double crochet, to give the border a little more depth.  I was nervous about the fabric slipping on the wheel when I was making turns or whatever, so I used some of that rug gripper stuff on the wrong side of the fabric, to keep it in place.  After that, all I had to do was stretch it around my steering wheel, and I was ready to ride!




No comments:

Post a Comment